The Documents You Need To Get A Replacement Social Security Card

If you have to get a replacement social security card, you need to know what documents you have to have with you.  The documents that you need will vary depending on your local status in the country. Knowing what you need will ensure that your application for a replacement will go smoothly and quickly.

If You Are A US Born Citizen Adult

US born citizens will need to provide evidence of their citizenship if this has not been established before.  If you have established this with the social security office before, you will not have to do so when you apply for the replacement card.  If you need to do this, the only documents that are accepted will be a US passport or a US birth certificate if the passport is not available.  

You will also need to provide proof of your identity and only certain documents are accepted for this.  The identification documents will need to be current, show your name and have identification information such as your age or date of birth.  Ideally, the document should also have a recent photograph.

The identification documents that are accepted include your US driver’s license or your US passport.  If you do not have these documents, you can use a state-issued non-driver identification card. There are other documents that will be accepted if you cannot get these documents or get a replacement for them within 10 days.  These additional documents will include an employee identification card, a health insurance card or a US military identification card.

It is important to note that you will have to provide the original documents when you apply for your replacement card.  Additionally, the social security office may use one document for 2 purposes. This means that your US passport can be used for proof of citizenship and identity.

Replacements For US Born Citizen Children

If you are applying for a replacement card for a minor child, you will need to provide documentation of their citizenship.  It is important to note that this documentation will not have to be provided if citizenship has already been established with the social security office.  As with US born adult citizens, the documents accepted are a US birth certificate or a US passport.

Proof of identity will also need to be provided for both you and the minor child.  You will not be able to use their birth certificate as proof of identity as evidence beyond the birth of the child is required.  The documents that you will be able to use for this include an adoption decree, a state-issued identification card, religious records, school identification cards, and medical records.  

For your proof of identity, you will need to use a valid and current document.  The accepted documents will include a US passport and US driver’s license. A non-driver identification card issued by your state will also be accepted.  If you are not a US citizen, but your child is, you will need to provide your I-551 Permanent Resident Card, I-766 Employment Authorization Document or I-94 arrival and departure record.  

Foreign Born US Citizen Adult

If you are a US citizen who was born in a foreign country, you will need to establish your US citizenship if you have not already done so.  There are only certain documents that are accepted including a US passport. You can also provide a Certificate of Naturalization, one of Citizenship, a consular report of birth abroad or a certificate of report of birth.  

In order to prove your identity, you will need to provide either a US passport, US driver’s license or another state-issued identification card.  If you do not have any of these documents and cannot get a replacement for them within 10 days, you will be able to use other documents. These will include a school identification card, US military card or an employee identification card.  

Foreign Born US Citizen Children

In order to prove the citizenship of your foreign born US citizen minor child, you will have to provide certain documentation.  The accepted documents will include a certification of report of birth, a US passport or certification of citizenship. You will also be able to use a consular report of birth abroad.  

In order to get the replacement card, you will have to prove your identity as well as the minor child.  The documents used for identification of the minor child will be the same as for children born in the United States.  The documents to prove your identity will also be the same.

Replacement For A Noncitizen Adult

In general, the only noncitizens who are able to get a social security number will be those that have permission to work from the DHS.  If you do not have permission to work, you will not be able to get a social security number or a replacement. There are some exceptions to this, but you will need to talk to someone in the social security office regarding this.

or a replacement card at, you will have to provide proof of your immigration status.  The accepted documents will include Form I-551 which is a permanent resident card or machine-readable immigrant visa.  You can also use an I-766 or an I-94 to prove this. However, if you are an F-1 or M-1 student, you will need to also show your I-20.  

You will also need to provide documentation that proves your identification.  The accepted documents will be those issued by the DHS such as the I-551 Permanent Resident Card.  An I-94 and I-766 can also be used to prove your identity. Of course, these documents will need to be the current ones that you have from the DHS.  

If you are applying for a replacement social security card for yourself or a minor child, you need to provide certain documents.  These will need to be the original documents as the social security office does not accept copies or notarized copies. The documents you have to provide will vary depending on your legal status in the country.